Friday, January 30, 2015

Un-paper Towels

My family can go through a lot of paper towels! I've tried for years to cut that usage down by having hand towels on hand to use for everything ... they still use paper most of the time. Plus, we just didn't seem to have enough on hand to cover it all especially with me using them constantly. So I decided to bite the bullet and just make some. The goal is A. Whole. Slew. Of. Them. Each set is loosely based on those "choose-a-size" paper towels. Two of each set are what you'd call "regular size" while 4 of each set are what you'd call "half-size." 

The first two sets that I made I do not currently have pictures of and I sewed them quite a few months ago before my mother died in November. It was babies that got me back into sewing this month. I was missing something I needed to start sewing the baby items so I decided just to whip out some of these real quick since I could at least finish something I started!! I still have two more sets to complete - I was missing red thread for them (which I now have) so they will sit on the back burner until I have a lull in baby items.

I plan on making A LOT more for various holidays.

One of our sons is in the Air Force. These are for him.

 
My father is an Army Veteran. He served in Vietnam right after his best friend was KIA. These are for him.

 
I have a matching set to these but on a red background. These are more typically going to be used on any patriotic or special military day.



Our kitchen is mostly black with touches of red and white. We are die-hard Georgia Dawg's fans. I love gingham. Therefore I knew I had to make some when I saw the red gingham fabric!


I don't have a surger so I did the next best thing I could think of ... using one of the stitches on my sewing machine as close to the edge as I felt comfortable and letting the edges unravel as I wash them, then trimming them up.  I didn't use a ruler and mark lines to cut straight so these are very haphazardly cut and consequently sewn!!  But, for now, that's okay with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment