Sunday, February 15, 2015

Blast From the Past: Love Garland

A little history:

I really can't stand Valentine's Day. I couldn't stand it so much that I threatened my husband that I would break up with him if he even recognized the holiday. He complied and has respected my disdain for the money-making scheme of a Hallmark holiday. I've been perfectly content in him getting small somethings for the children and nothing for me. I loved how he respected me so much that he didn't celebrate it with me.

So then, how did I start making these Valentine crafts you see in these last several posts, you ask????

I found a few years ago that my husband really loves the holiday. He enjoys doing things for the ones he loves. I sort of took that away from him. Granted, by not celebrating with me, he was doing something for me - he wanted to do more. BUT he was willing to never do anything for me and "waste his hardearned money on V-day crap" (as I have been known spew in the past) in order for me to be happy.

When I found this out, my heart changed toward him. I decided right then and there that I would surprise the mess out of him! The first year I did this (2 years ago) I laid out everything I wanted to make and do (fancy menu included) and waited for him to go to work. I set out making craft after craft and cooking and baking all day long.

His face lit up like a child on Christmas morning when he walked into our home. He just couldn't understand what made me, Mrs. Bah-humbug of Valentine's, decorate the house in all things Valentine's! AND to come home to a cute and delicious meal with dessert to boot was nearly too much for his little heart to bear.

Now don't get me wrong, I still don't want presents, but I will let him take me out to dinner if he wants to do so. We've had a tradition of celebrating the 13th of every month ever since we met (which just so happened to be a Friday the 13th)... and it was his doing! The romantic that he is :-D  We were also married on the 13th of the month (a different month than when we met). So rather than fight the crowds on the 14th, we've been setting out the night before celebrating our own little version of Valentine's :)

So, that first year, I made this little love banner. I've since lost where I got the idea from ... perhaps I shall run across it one day and then I'll post it. The first year that I strung it up, it was at our bar but I think I like it across the small bannister of our stairs so that you can see it right as you come in the front door.

I had to do a little repair work on it this year so I truly hope that it lasts for several more years to come, as it is my favorite and I didn't realize how much it meant to me to have it until I had to repair it! It is the only surviving original decoration that I made that first year. There is a portion of another decoration that is surviving which is my second favorite. When I redo the whole thing, I will post it under another Blast From the Past post.



The hearts are a gold toned scrapbook paper that has lots of love words written in darker gold tones. The smaller hearts are white tissue paper with a thin smattering of red glitter glue to set it apart. The red letters are of a red scrapbook paper using a stencil I had. They are all connected with a burgundy and gold rope/twine. Hmmm, I think I need close ups ......

So here are some close up shots ....


 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment